Sunday, December 25, 2011

Accidental Pumpkin Pie Stuffed French Toast

They say necessity is the mother of all invention, and that is definitely the case with this pumpkin pie stuffed french toast.  I got a call this morning that the flu had hit at my sister's house, so we were postponing Christmas at my Mom and Dad's - which meant I was now responsible for making breakfast for me and the hubby.  I wanted to make traditional french toast this morning, since its Christmas-y and really easy, but when I looked in the fridge I didn't have any maple syrup, so "normal" french toast was out since all of the grocery stores were closed.  I started rummaging and I did have canned pumpkin and some cream cheese, and that is how pumpkin pie stuffed french toast was born.   I was a little apprehensive if it would really taste like pumpkin pie and if it would be sweet enough, especially since I didn't have any syrup to fall back on, but it got two enthusiastic thumbs up from the hubby! 

In hindsight I should have cut the toast open so you can see the yummy filling inside - but I was trying to snap a pic before the hubby took a bite! 

What you'll need for 2 servings - FYI this recipe easily multiplies:
  •  4 slices of bread
  • 1/4 C canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 C cream cheese (I used reduced fat, but any kind would work fine
  • 3 T brown sugar
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • 2 T butter
  • 2 eggs
  • splash of milk
  • powdered sugar (optional)
Mix together the pumpkin, cream cheese, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together with a fork until the lumps disappear to form the filling mixture.  Lay out your slices of bread and spread 1/4 of the filling mixture on one side of each piece of bread.  Put the sides with the filling on them together to form a "sandwich".  In a large bowl crack the two eggs, splash in a little milk, and stir with a fork until combined.  Dip the "sandwiches" into the egg and milk mixture coating all sides.  In a skillet (or in my case I used my griddler) melt the butter over medium heat and place the sandwiches in the pan once the butter starts to brown just a little.  Cook on one side until its golden, then flip and continue cooking until the other side is golden.  When the toast is ready, put on a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Enjoy!!

-Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs